Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hi everybody that i miss and even the ones I don't.
Just kidding. I'm sure I miss everyone that would know to come here and check up on me. So how are you all doing? I'm very eager to hear about your exciting lives because things have become a bit boring on my end. But just in case you want to know a little of my happenings, here I go.

About a week and a half ago I moved into my host family's house. It is at an undisclosed location in Mozambique and let me add quite lovely. We're in a sort of smaller town and in a few choice neighborhoods. My house is snug and cement, with a facy sort of chimney latrine. Not bad at all. I have my own room, with locks on the door and bars on the windows and so trust that i am very safe.

I have now fully kicked my five cups of coffee a day habit as well as any sugar habit i may have had. However, don't think i've gone terribly healthy. The ole' Moz diet is a lot of carbs and fats to keep up the energy of a physically intense day. The only downside? My day isn't physically intense. Unless you count how hard my brain works to understand things.

I'm learning a lot of things I never knew about HIV/AIDS, Mozambique in general (did you know that a lobolo is a sort of reverse dowry still in practice?), and how quickly my calves can navigate rocky terrain and hills when i'm running late in the morning.

I have a cell phone now, as you may or may not know. And I have a tv in my house as well as a dvd player, so if you want to send portuguese dvds i'm sure my family would love to have them. Or 90's rock/smooth jazz, micheal jackson, or contemporary rap or R&B.

Oh. My host-family here. It is a little confusing to me and will probably be even more confusing to you. Suffice to say that I now live with six people, three of whom are kids ages 3, 8, 13. My three year old family member just joined us and she is very very cute. But, apparently, mute to me. Or, really, she is shy and doesn't speak much Portuguese. Instead, she speaks shangala, which is the popular local dialect that most kids speak until school.

Well, there is a line of PCV's out the door to use this single computer in the internet cafe, so this is all for now.

But remember, when it comes to landmines in Mozambique there is a simple rule. If you didn't drop it, don't pick it.

2 comments:

  1. Landmines!?! I'll see what I can do about the michael jackson glad to hear it's not as bad as everyone thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love to hear all your funny little quips about the local culture that you put at the end. keep 'em coming, liss.

    ReplyDelete