Friday, November 6, 2009

Post- LPI/Round Robin rundown






Why yes, there is something different about me. I have been working on my tan. I thank you for noticing.


So hello there.

I hope this finds everyone in excellent health. I myself am doing very nicely these days. I've just come from the finish of my Round Robin exam, which was to access that we stay awake in classes and sessions, essentially. My language test was a conversation, and at the end my tester told me that i spoke Portuguese well enough, but I need to study different tenses. What? I can't speak only in the present for the next two years? Absurd!

The tests were very easy, which probably doesn't mean I'm very smart, just that Peace Corps are looking for success and not failure. Especially since they've just spent an excellent amount of PEPFAR money on our planetickets to...


SITE VISITS! That's right. It's time for all us little PCT's to get out into the wide world of Mozambique for a few days. I myself am headed up north to the Nampula Province, which I hear is lovely this time of year. It will finally be warm, which is great. I'm traveling with another PCT and staying with a PCV that is working in health as well. It's an exciting time, and a great way to mark the end of halfway through training. Huzzah.


Today we were supposed to celebrate with a little Bean Burger Get-Together, but that was shut down by admin. Because some people are leaving at 4 in the morning tomorrow, they wanted us to keep our bedtimes early and sober. So there you go. But I have a feeling we'll come up with something nice to do together tonight and still get our much needed rest. Unfortunetly, the visiting PCV's that organized it had already bought 300 Mt. of cheese. That will make for Mozambique's most awesome grilled cheese sandes (sandwich) ever.


This past Wednesday was a great time during cultural exchange. They brought in some local dancers and I discovered just how much a 5 year old can beat out my eight years of formal dance lessons. Lesson to be learned? If you truely want to teach your children to dance, ship them over here.


My mom's sister is visiting this week. I suspect it's to help around the house a little, since being over eight months pregnant is kind of a drag as far as housework goes. Although, it hasn't stopped my Mae from trekking to the machamba (small family garden/farm) and apparently working. My "aunt" is 23 like me! And lives in Maputo and is very nice and pretty. She wants to learn English. Don't we all. We compromise by her speaking english to me and me answering in Portuguese until her english runs out. Which is quick, since she only took a very little. Me, I've recently learned, i'm on the same level as a 10th grader would be. So in five weeks it's like i've taken two years of high school level language. Not bad, if I do say so myself.


Well, the day is beautiful, the sun is finally out, and my laundry is waiting. Two weeks worth of mud demands my attention.


Regarding the Nampula man that likes PCV's, Alfredo our safety man says," He won't attack you, he won't rape you. All he wants is the kiss. That is all. Just the kiss."


Until later, my sincere regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment